Introduction

My name is Daniel and I am currently 2(August 6,2007) years old. I live in Northern California in a wonderful old 2 story English Tudor Revival home with my 2 Dads, Dan, who I call Papa and am named after and Julio who I call Daddy. I have a great pet name Cocco who is a red hair Chow Chow that I love. I also have several stuffed animal companions, however, 2 that I always love to take with me on outside adventures. George, the monkey and Sheep. I hope you will join me during my travels and journey through life

Chapter 2-The Little American's First Day Around The City


Wow! My first exciting day around Paris and I just can't stop looking up at all the tall monuments.

Both Daddy(Julio) & Papa(Dan) were still trying to adjust to the 9 hour time difference from California. I guess they should have taking their own advice about going to sleep early on the plane. So, they decided we should just stroll around our area for a nearby exhibit. As we walked along the Seine river, we were captivated by the vibrant gold statues atop these enormous pillars that crowned what appeared to be an important bridge.
We just had to get a closeup of the bridge.


It turned out this is the Alexander III bridge built at the turn of the last century to commemorate a peace treaty between France and Russia.




Anchoring one side of the beautiful bridge was this wonderful metal and glass top building. It really caught Papa's eye and he just had to get a look inside.


Well, this is what we found; an interesting display by Christian Boltanski of rows of coats laid on the floor in rectangles between 4 rusted iron poles. The entire expanse of this huge atrium was filled with the sound of the human heartbeat. Papa thought the piles of clothes reminded him of a World War II Concentration camp. The artist's stated intent was to create a work of "...social, religious and humanistic exploration of life, memory and the irreducible individuality of each and every human existence=together with the presence of death, the dehumanization of the body.." Well, whatever that means...Papa read it to me from the program.

Just off the distance, there was a pyramid of coats

I was truly amazed at how all these coats could make a tall hill. Papa told us that the entire exhibit is suppose to project the enormity of how much our society has amassed in creating the human shell. Daddy says Papa and I create a very similar sculpture at home every 3 days.

After only 10 minutes here, Papa & Daddy were already set to leave but not me, I really enjoyed watching the big red claw coming down and digging into the pile then going all the way up and dropping back in...weeeee! yeah! do it again! Wait Daddy, a few more times... please? Oh, by the way, this building is the Grand Palais built for the 1900 World's Fair.

Okay, now we're off with our rolling grocery bag to the open market on the Rue Cler for a few items for tonight's dinner.

The Rue Cler market is a very popular location with many of the locals for their daily fresh foods like produce,fish,meat and baked goods.

Ah! we are at the Rue Cler.

Hmm, where is a good place to start?

Well, I like what I see to the right but I see Papa ahead with my stroller looking at the produce section.

Hmmm...French grapes look just like grapes back home.

I am not sure what these are, but when Papa wasn't looking I grabbed one and popped it in my mouth. I quickly spit it out because I did not like it at all.

Okay, my bag is filled with tonight's dinner; French grapes, baguettes, French cheese (which I did not like) and some French spread in a jar that both Papa & Daddy swear is delicious but told me not to mention it on the blog or to just tell everyone they bought some vegetable pate. I could have sworn I heard the shop keeper talking about a goose when he sold it to them?

That's all for today...au revoir for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment